Thursday, January 29, 2009

WELCOME TO OUR HOME, SPIKE!

What a cute little turtle, right? So everyone knows, Spike is Brian and Erica's (brother-in-law and sister-in-law) lone pet that is being left behind as they journey to Japan for an undetermined length of time. Poor Spike...I am sure she misses her real mom already! I think I am the hovering step mother that she is tired of seeing and the kids are like her annoying step siblings that always want to play a game she doesn't like!!
No, really, she is doing very well...today. Let me explain.
Day 1 without Mama Erica and Papa Brian must have been a bit traumatic. Her little eyes were swollen, probably from our not-as-good-quality-of-water, like she used to have in NYC. We put drops in them and she seems fine. She then tried to escape the tub, BUT hovering step-mom was there to catch her!! So I rearranged her rocks, which apparently I did not do right, because she continually knocked them over. I did, however, find a suitable arrangement and she has since let them be. whew!
Day 2 without Mama E and Papa B was probably even more traumatic. She seemed so lethargic in the morning, and of course the hovering step-siblings were extremely concerned. Oh, I reassured them that everything was fine...."she's just getting used to everything, " I said. Well, the kiddos went to school and I started noticing how tired she seemed. So, I watch her hiding in her little cave that is under water. Her eyes seemed okay, but she really hadn't eaten anything. I figured she wants something special to eat...I'll teach her to depend on food when she is stressed out. You know, just like the rest of us. So, I put some romaine in her tank and feel the water and....HOLY COLD!!! This poor turtle wasn't tired, she was freezing! (not literally, don't worry). I look to see if the heater is plugged in and it was, but I find a crack in the glass casing around the heating coils. It must have shorted out. ANYWAY, I am just thankful that Spike wasn't electrocuted on Day 2. If that would have happened we surely would never be trusted with any of Erica and Brian's other offspring EVER!!

So, Day 3 has begun, and Spike is swimming and playing as a normal turle should be, in a tank warm and cozy. She, of course, has a new heater that I am hoping makes things better between us. Food brides haven't worked, but maybe I could buy her love.
Thank you Brian and Erica for adding this little bundle of joy to our family! We love her.






And this...well....this is Ayden's fashionable combination of "get-up" from Aunt E. Claire, of course, was the histerically laughing photographer. He looks like a...well, you know what he looks like. I have to admit, he
is a funny guy!

1 comment:

ef said...

oh my goodness! what an eventful 3 days!
i hope she wasn't too much trouble for you! i also hope she doesn't give you the cold shoulder. she used to do it to me all the time when i messed something up in her house.
i am sure she will love you guys! Thank you again for adopting her during our "long vacation".